Click each title to view full description.
MISSION STATEMENT +
V.J. & Angela Skutt Catholic High School forms and educates young men and women to become Christian leaders who empower others, promote justice and initiate change.
BELIEF STATEMENTS +
We believe that V.J. and Angela Skutt Catholic High School…
- Provides a Spiritual Anchor to assist students in modeling their lives within the Roman Catholic tradition according to the Gospel message of Jesus Christ.
- Develops Christian Character through practicing the skills of self-discipline, individual conscience, and critical thinking when making decisions as a moral Christian and as a good citizen.
- Prepares for Post-Secondary Success by providing students a rigorous college-prep curriculum, state-of-the-art technology, and an opportunity to earn college credits.
- Inspires Moral and Ethical Leadership by not only educating, but also requiring students to provide service to, embrace diversity within, and seek justice for their communities and the marginalized in our society.
- Endorses a Co-Educational Academic Environment that exemplifies a real-world, life-long learning environment wherein a Christian’s respect of self and others becomes the foundation for promoting self worth and service to school and community.
- Educates the Whole Person – Body, Mind, and Spirit by providing a variety of extracurricular activities to assist students in building a foundation for generating personal, physical, academic, emotional, and spiritual well-being.
SCHOOL GOALS +
All graduates of V.J. and Angela Skutt Catholic High School will:
Follow the teachings of Jesus in the context of the community of the Church
- Discern one’s vocation in response to God’s call
- Know how to pray
- Participate in the life of the Church
Practice a code of moral behavior based on the principals of Catholic Christian beliefs
- Respect and value the gift of life
- Obey the civil laws of society
- Respond to the needs of the marginalized in our community
- Serve as good stewards of the environment
Strive for intellectual excellence and academic achievement
- Demonstrate critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Work effectively both cooperatively and independently
- Develop a self-disciplined approach to learning
- Make pursuit of self-directed learning a life-long priority
- Utilize current technology effectively and appropriately
- Communicate meaningfully through a variety of expressive media
Demonstrate an understanding of self and society
- Recognize the family unit as an integral part of a faith-centered life
- Actively invite and involve diversity in building community
- Respect, appreciate, and celebrate cultural diversity
Develop personal integrity
- Model moral convictions in interactions with others
- Build trust and mutual respect in relationships
- Reach out to others
- Live his/her sexuality according to the teachings of the Church
- Adopt and maintain a life-long approach to personal health
- Practice healthy decision-making concerning nutrition and exercise
- Accept one’s own body
V.J. and Angela Skutt Catholic High School, a secondary educational institution of the Archdiocese of Omaha, serves the teaching mission of the Catholic Church by providing a quality co-educational high school program rooted in the historic Catholic tradition for young people in Omaha and surrounding communities. As an Archdiocesan high school serving the total Catholic community, the curriculum offerings of the school include competitive college preparation courses for a diverse population of students in an active and progressive learning environment that features the very best in technology and methodology.
V.J. and Angela Skutt Catholic High School seeks to create excellence in a Catholic high school environment–one that is characterized by a group of parents, educational professionals, and community volunteers who are united by a religious faith and a shared belief in the value of formal education. These parents, educators, and volunteers combine to provide resources, leadership, and the purposeful focus necessary to create and maintain an educational entity which achieves excellence in the following areas:
- Clear instruction in Catholic doctrine and Christian moral values, based on the Gospel and Church teaching.
- A rigorous intellectual pursuit of cultural wisdom and academic knowledge which includes a familiar expertise with scientific and technological advances.
- Development of the whole person: spiritual, intellectual, aesthetic, emotional, physical, and social.
- Experience of a Christian community bonded together in friendship, respect, trust, love, and forgiveness.
- Awareness of the divine and spiritual through daily prayer and reverential celebration of the sacraments and devotions of the Church.
Individual and group activities which flow from a sense of social responsibility and concern for the welfare of others, especially those burdened by poverty, illness, alienation, and physical and emotional weakness.